I have to admit that I’ve never been a huge fan of the Academy Awards in the past. I would watch some of the movies with the vague understanding that this actor or that director had been nominated, but I didn’t pay that much attention to the actual awards. To illustrate that, here are my picks for the top six awards from last year’s Oscars:
- Best Picture: 12 Years a Slave it looks horribly depressing.
- Best Director: Is it Steven Spielberg? Does he have a movie out? If not, Clint Eastwood.
- Best Actor: I always chose Daniel Day Lewis every year.
- Best Actress: Probably Judi Dench cause she’s a Dame.
- Best Supporting Actor: Getting a little fuzzy here and I honestly had to go back and see who was even nominated for these last two. I’d heard that Jared Leto did a good job, but I hadn’t seen him in anything since Requiem for a Dream.
- Best Supporting Actress: I’m glad that Lupita Nyong’o won as I’m sure she did a great job, but I honestly only saw American Hustle and I didn’t even know it was nominated for anything when I saw it.
Since January of this year, I’ve been learning a lot more about data and analytics. As I’ve become more involved with the whole Big Data trend, I was curious to see how predictable the Oscars could be. It’s that original line of thinking that lead me down a bit of an awards season rabbit hole and to this post.
Basically, when looking over the history of the major awards, one can begin to see certain trends. By stepping on the backs of those that complied a ton of data, and doing a bit of crunching myself, I’m officially ready to make my picks. Next week, once the dust has settled and we can see how awesome (or horrible) my picks were, I’ll share the hard numbers behind my choices (plus the agonizing experience of trying to make my first infographic…).
The Most Educated Guesses I’ve Ever Guessed About The Oscars:
- Best Picture: Boyhood
- Best Director: Alejandro González Iñárritu
- Best Actor: Eddie Redmayne
- Best Actress: Julianne Moore
- Best Supporting Actor: J.K. Simmons
- Best Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette